Home

Writer's World

I stare at the computer screen. I stretch my fingers and lay them on the keyboard. My heart races with excitement as my thoughts circulate from my mind to my fingers and onto the screen.

After I begin to key that which is forming in my brain I am sucked into that safe haven once more. The place where things are what they are because I make it so; the place where any and everything is possible. The place where I am the goddess of all things.

It is in this place that kings are born, princes fight dragons and rescue damsels, and the lone warrior continues to roam. Here there are creatures of all sorts, both good and evil. I have control over every life here. If I decide that the princess should marry the pauper instead of the prince then it shall be so. If I choose to call the hero Bob instead of Sir William it will be done. With the touch of a single button I can erase someone’s entire being, destroy their homeland and the ones they love, leave them with nothing but the clothes upon their backs.

I have power.

I can make the trees walk and the animals speak. The lovers shall love and the poets shall write. The common man will be transformed into a hero and the prince to a coward. Legends and myths will come to life. The hopes and dreams of mankind can be realized and lived. Hope will forever exist.

If I will it to be, so it shall be.

As I continue on my way a wall suddenly appears out of nowhere. Had I been given fair warning concerning its arrival I could have easily bypassed it. Instead I collide into it falling backwards onto the grass.

I sit up leaning back on my hands and stare at the wall. I know this place better than anyone, where did this come from? I adjust my crooked glasses and look around. The wall is not long and so I stand and begin to run. The wall grows in length and I can no longer see its end. I turn around and go the other direction only to discover with a heavy heart that it has become endless on both sides.

I stop and stare at it once more. I push against it but it does not move. I try to climb it only to discover that its height too is endless. I slip and fall back to the bottom. In a final attempt to destroy the wall I ram into it with my shoulder. That’s a smart idea…

Just then I hear a whirring sound behind me. I turn and to my horror a black hole is forming. I watch as all that I have created is sucked into its depths. The King and his court disappear. The prince and his damsels follow suit. The pauper and his beautiful princess vanish into the blackness.

In desperation I lean over and take hold of the grass clinging to it as though it were my own life being sucked away.

“No, no, no, no, no!” I say frantically. The dirt around the grass I am clutching loosens and I fall backwards. I look back and forth at the clumps of grass in my hands and then toss them aside. I stand up and try to run away from the massive vacuum. However I only find myself running in place. I can feel my clothes, hair, and entire body being pulled at. I try to run harder reaching out with my hands like a mummy chasing a frightened woman that just opened up his sarcophagus.

I struggle to win the battle but to no avail. The black hole wins and I fall into it, arms flailing, trying desperately to grasp something.

I find myself in my chair once more staring blankly at the screen. It is half full of words wonderfully typed and perfectly situated. And then it is as blank as my stare. I place my elbow on the desk and rest my chin on my hand.

“Nuts,” I say glaring at the computer screen. “I hate writer’s block.”

Stephanie Lyn Featherstone


 

 


 






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2007 Words Words Words.  All Rights Reserved.