Home

Your Next Big Idea

I've been traveling for the holidays and most recently I visited with family in Ohio. At one crowded gathering my 9-year-old nephew Bryan, who has already been recognized in the local press for his writing talents, pulled me aside and said, "Aunt Sophfronia, I haven't been writing. I don't have any ideas for new stories. What do I do?"

First I complimented him on asking the question--so many adults struggle with this very thing and don't ask for help! Next, I asked him about what he's been watching/consuming lately re: movies, television shows, games, etc. We discussed several things, but the one story that seemed to grab him was from the movie, High School Musical. He recited it to me in detail. I asked him what about the movie interested him. He liked how music helped tell the story. He liked that the characters were ordinary kids. Then I asked, "Can you use any of this for inspiration to create something new?" He thought about it for a moment. I could almost see the wheels spinning in his head. Suddenly his eyes lit up and opened wide. "The Vincent Elementary Musical!" He couldn't stop talking after that. He story was coming out fast--we even discussed how he could use popular song s to help tell his story. That was it, he was off and writing! Okay, what exactly did we do to get him to his idea? Let's review:

What's Got Your Attention Now?

We all like to take in stories in one way or another: movies, musicals, plays, television shows, operas, books. And there are times when you might find yourself taking in the same thing over and over again. Maybe you're stuck on reality shows or you've become totally obsessed with a movie--I remember when the film Robocop came out. I'd never seen anything like it and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I saw it seven times in the course of a month! Right now I'm watching the show Top Chef over and over and I'm not even a foodie. What's that about? Which brings me to...

What Is It About the Thing That Excites You?

I like to think I watch something over and over because I need that long to figure out why I'm intrigued with it. I'm not sure I can watch Robocop today--it's too violent for me now. But years ago I saw past the violence and became totally involved with what the film said about personality and spirit and what exists beyond a person's physical being. I don't know yet what's got me stuck on Top Chef, but I'm working on it! The key is to find out what draws you to your latest obsession. Why? Because that will be the foundation for your new idea.

How Can You Use the Same Themes/Inspiration to Create Something New?

The ideas I gleaned from Robocop turned up in a short story I wrote. My nephew is using his fascination with watching kids just like him acting out a story to make a new story for children in his own school. Making this next step is easier than you think: chances are the reason you're obsessed about a particular topic is because you have something very big you want to say about it. You just haven't put form to your thoughts just yet. Take some time to think and articulate the original feelings and thoughts you have about your source of inspiration.

Map It Out and Get to Work!

An idea will remain just that--an idea--until you put something on paper. What you write doesn't have to be elaborate. A few notes to yourself or a paragraph detailing your concept will be enough to get you started. Whether your idea comes to you in full form, like the "Vincent Elementary Musical" or in pieces that you'll put together over time, you'll see this process will work for you again and again. So the next time you're stuck think about these steps--and how even a 9-year-old can do them--and find your next big idea!

Sophfronia Scott


 

 


 






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2007 Words Words Words.  All Rights Reserved.